当前位置:文档之家› 跨文化阅读课文翻译终极版

跨文化阅读课文翻译终极版

跨文化阅读课文翻译终极版
跨文化阅读课文翻译终极版

Unit 1

Settling down at college around the world

适应校园生活——来自世界各地的访谈

Tanya Zarutskaya Moscow, Russia

塔尼娅?扎茹茨卡娅莫斯科,俄罗斯

This time last year I was nervous about my new life.

去年的这个时候,我对新生活感到很紧张。

I didn't have any friends, and it was my first time away from home. 我没有朋友,也是第一次离开家。

At first I worked all the time, going to lectures and studying late into the night.

一开始,我一天到晚都在忙功课:上课,并且学习到深夜。

But then I realized I was missing out on so many other things at university. 可后来我意识到我错过了大学里许多其他活动。

One day a girl in my hall of residence invited everyone in the dorm to a dinner party.

一天,跟我住同一幢宿舍楼的一个女孩儿邀请全楼的人去参加一个晚宴。

I've no idea where she managed to buy the food, or how she had enough money. 我不知道她在哪儿买的那些吃的,也不清楚她怎么会有足够的钱。

And she dressed like a model.

而且她穿得像个模特儿。

I don't know why she was bothering with university!

我真不知道她干嘛还要费那劲儿上大学!

I've got to know lots of interesting people and I now enjoy myself as well as study hard.

现在我结识了许多有趣的人,既努力学习,也快乐地生活。

Miguel Fonseca Guadalajara, Mexico

米古尔?方斯卡瓜达拉哈拉,墨西哥

When I first arrived at university, I tried to make notes about everything the professors said in their lectures.

刚上大学的时候,我尽量把教授们在课堂上说的每一句话都记下来。

But I ended up being too busy writing to listen.

结果是我光忙着记笔记,都顾不上听讲了。

I'm studying chemistry, and everything seemed more complicated than what we learned at school.

我现在学的是化学,现在学的东西似乎都比我们在中学里学的复杂。

But then I realized that here, you have to listen and think more.

现在,我已弄清新知识和过去所学知识之间的差别了。

I've now understood the difference between new information and things which I knew already.

不过我意识到,在大学里,你应该更多地去听、去思考。

Francine Bonnet Lyon, France

弗兰辛?博内里昂,法国

When I first arrived, the university seemed very large and unfriendly. 我刚来时,这所大学似乎很大,也很不友好。

I found the freedom and the lack of guidance difficult at first.

一开始,我觉得很难适应缺乏指导的自由生活。

At school, I was used to a timetable with homework in the evening.

上中学的时候,我已经习惯了晚上做家庭作业。

I also had a lot of trouble managing my allowance.

如何使用每月的生活费也让我感到很头疼。

You have to buy food, books, bus fares, clothes and everything, so it's not like the pocket money you had as a kid at home.

你得买食品、书、公交车票、衣服等东西,这和小时候在家花零花钱大不一样。The money arrives all in one go, so I felt pretty rich at the start of term.

每学期的钱是一次性汇来的,所以一开始我总觉得手头相当宽裕。

Then I spent too much, and could only afford to eat a sandwich once a day! 然后我就大手大脚地花钱,搞到后来每天只能吃一个三明治!

But now I've realized that it's no longer my parents' or teachers' responsibility to look after me.

我现在认识到家长或老师不再有照顾我的责任了。

For the first time, it's me who's responsible for my life ... and I don't know what to do!

长这么大第一次,我该自己打理自己的生活了……可我却不知道该怎么办!

Thinking across cultures

跨文化思考

This view attracted a lot of criticism.

这一观点招致了不少批评。

People said it was too simplistic, it was based on insufficient evidence, and it was biased in favour of English (which seemed to offer the "most efficient" way of presenting an argument).

大家认为这种理论过于简单化,论据不足,而且偏袒英语(好像只有英语才能够“最有效地”展开论述似的)。

Russian students, in particular, didn't agree with the idea Kaplan had of them!

俄罗斯学生尤其不认同卡普兰对他们的看法。

But Kaplan's work at least reminded us that, to be able to write effectively in English (or any language), it is not enough to master structures at sentence level—we need to work at a higher level of organization, and to understand how rhetorical devices, such as repetition and figurative language, are used.

不过,卡普兰的研究成果至少提醒了我们一点:要想熟练地掌握英语(或任何语言)写作的能力,仅仅掌握句子层面的结构是不够的——我们需要在更高层次的组织结构上下工夫,学会运用重复和比喻等修辞手法。

What's more, most of us would probably agree that people from different cultural backgrounds do have different ways of presenting arguments, or telling stories,

并且,我们可能大都认同这样一种观点,即来自不同文化背景的人会以各自不同的方式提出论点或者讲故事。

and that, even if these differences are difficult, and perhaps impossible to classify, just being aware that they exist can help us to understand and appreciate each other better.

即使我们很难或是根本不可能阐明其差异,但仅仅是意识到这些差异的存在也有助于我们加深对彼此的理解和认同感。

Saying it without words

非言语表达

Misunderstandings are not restricted to words.

误解并不仅限于言语。

It's just as easy to create confusion with body language and gestures which mean one thing in one culture, but something different in another. 由于肢体语言和手势在一种文化中表达一个意思,可在另一种文化中又表达另一个意思,这很容易造成困惑。

For example, new arrivals from the West in China often find it strange when you stare at them, because it makes them feel embarrassed and self-conscious, whereas the Chinese are simply curious.

比如说,刚到中国的西方人看见有人盯着他们看,觉得很奇怪,因为这让他们觉得很尴尬、很难为情。其实,中国人只是好奇而已。

Market trading

集市贸易

In some markets, the trader will allow you to choose the fruit and vegetables yourself, but others may insist on choosing for you.

在有些集市上,卖家允许你自己挑选水果和蔬菜,而在另外一些集市上,卖家可能要坚持替你挑选。

The best way to check is "to do as the Romans do".

最好的方法便是入乡随俗。

In other words, watch if the locals pick their goods, place them in a bowl or a basket, and then hand it to the trader.

也就是说,留意当地人的做法,看他们是不是自己挑选物品,将物品放入碗中或者篮子里,然后交给卖家。

It's rare to bargain in markets, or more precisely, in markets which sell food and clothes or anywhere the price is marked on a label.

在集市上,或者更准确地说,在销售食品、衣服或明码标价的集市上,讨价还价是很少见的。The only exception is "flea markets", that is to say, markets where you can buy second-hand goods and antiques.

唯一的例外是“跳蚤市场”,也就是二手货和古玩市场。

But if it's OK to bargain, find out what similar goods are worth on other stalls, let the salesperson tell you the price first, then make them an offer, or more precisely, about 40 per cent of their price, and hope to agree on something which pleases both of you.

如果可以讨价还价,你需要先了解相同的物品在其他货摊上卖多少钱,然后让卖主先告诉你价格,你再还价,或者更确切地说,你给的价格可以大约是卖主出价。

Ecotourism

生态旅游

As a thoughtful and responsible traveller, there are several things you can do to avoid affecting or damaging the sights you have come to see. 作为一个有头脑、负责任的旅行者,你可以做几件事以避免影响或毁坏你参观过的风景名胜区。

It's important to be aware of the economic, cultural and environmental effects of tourism.

认识到旅游所产生的经济、文化及环境效应是非常重要的。

The more you put into your trip, the more you'll get out of it.

你在旅行中付出的越多,你从中得到的就越多。

Find out about your destination.

了解目的地。

This doesn't just mean reading the guidebooks.

这不仅仅意味着读读旅行指南。

For example, before you go, look out for news and current events about the area you're planning to visit.

比如说,走之前,你可以留意一下有关旅游目的地的新闻与时事。

Try to learn a few words of the local language.

或者试着学几句当地的语言。

Respect local customs and traditions,

尊重当地的习俗与传统。

such as wearing the right clothes or being careful about taking photos. 比如说着装要得体,拍照时要小心谨慎。

Try to remember that appropriate behaviour for you may not be transferable to another culture.

要记住,在你看来恰当的举止不一定会被另一个文化所接受。

Remember that you're not just a tourist, you're a guest.

记住你不仅仅是名游客,你还是位客人。

Don't show how wealthy you are.

不要炫富。

Your belongings, like cameras, wristwatches or jewellery, may create a barrier between you and the local people.

你随身携带的东西,如照相机、手表及珠宝首饰等,有可能在你和当地人之间造成隔阂。

Keep them out of sight.

把这些东西收起来。

Conserve resources.

节约资源。

Be aware that, as a visitor, you may be using valuable resources, for instance, water, wood and food, which may already be under pressure. 要知道,作为游客,你可能会消耗日益稀少的珍贵自然资源,如水、木材及食品等。

A large hotel in the middle of nowhere uses more resources than small family-run accommodation.建在茫茫旷野中的大旅馆比家庭经营的小旅店要消耗更多的资源。

Follow the leave-no-trace rules.

遵循不留痕迹的原则。

Take home everything you brought, such as packaging, paper and litter. 把你带来的所有东西,如包装盒、纸、垃圾等,全都带回家。

Don't take home anything you didn't bring and which may have an impact on the environment, such as plants or souvenirs made from animal products. 不要把不是你带来的或是会对环境造成影响的东西带回家,比如植物或用动物制品制作的纪念品。

Support the local economy.

支持当地的经济。

For example, eat local food and use local transport, restaurants, markets and guides.

比如说,品尝当地的食品,乘坐当地的交通工具,在当地的饭馆就餐,光顾当地的市场,雇用当地的导游。

It's important that the money you spend remains within the local community and creates jobs.

重要的是,你在当地花的钱创造了就业机会。尽量避免随大型旅游公司去旅行。

Follow up your visit.

继续你的旅行。

Your visit doesn't end with your flight home.

乘飞机回到家以后,你的旅行并没有结束。

There's lots more you can do, for instance, you can stay in touch with the people and the places you visited, and share your experiences with people back home and read up about what you've learnt.

你还可以做更多的事情,比如说,你可以和你去过的那些地方以及你见过的那些人保持联系,与亲朋好友分享你的经历,仔细研究一下你学到的东西。

Sustain your interest by supporting suitable conservation agencies. 通过支持一些合适的保护机构来保持你的兴趣。

Try and write an article for publication in a local newspaper or magazine. 试着写篇文章,投寄给当地的报纸或杂志发表。

If you don't appreciate being a visitor, why do you want to leave home in the first place?

如果你不喜欢旅行,那你当初为什么要离开家呢?

Unit 9

Cold climate, hot habit

冷气候,热习惯

In Finland winters are long and cold, with temperatures rarely rising above freezing, and the nights never seem to end.

在芬兰,冬天漫长而寒冷,温度很少在零度以上,长夜漫漫,似乎没有尽头。

In addition, those who live in the far north of the country have to cope with the "polar night", a period of 51 days on end during which the sun never rises.

另外,那些生活在该国最北部地区的人们还得应对“极夜”,一段连续51天、太阳永不升起的日子。

But the Finns have invented a way of staying warm and happy — the sauna. 但是芬兰人发明了一种保持温暖、快乐的方法——桑拿。

Almost every house in Finland has one; in a country which numbers just five million inhabitants, there are an estimated two million saunas. 在芬兰,几乎每一栋房子都有一间桑拿房。在这个只有500多万居民的国家里,估计有多达200万间的桑拿房。

Saunas have been around for a long time.

桑拿房历史久远,

The first written reference to them dates back to the 12th century.

有关桑拿房的最早文字记载可以追溯到12世纪。

At first, the sauna was just a heated hole in the ground used for bathing. 最初,桑拿房只是在地上挖的一个坑,加热后用于洗澡。

But over time, as the population became more settled, it became an above-ground room separated from the main house.

但是后来,随着定居人口的增多,桑拿房变成了独立于主宅的地上房间。Today, however, most modern homes include a sauna, in addition to a shower or bath, in the bathroom.

但是,今天大多数现代家庭的浴室里除了淋浴喷头和浴缸外,还有桑拿设备。Furthermore, the function of the sauna has changed.People today use it for relaxation.

而且,桑拿房的功能也发生了变化,如今人们将它用作休闲享乐的场所。

In essence, the sauna is a fire without a chimney.

从本质上讲,桑拿是不用烟囱的一团火。石头被放在火上以储存热量。

Rocks are put on the fire to retain the heat, and when you pour water on the rocks it releases a burst of heat throughout the room.

当你往石头上泼水时,它就释放出大量的热气,瞬间弥漫整个屋子。

For Finns the sauna is part of life from childhood, and an experience to be shared with family or friends.

对于芬兰人来说,早在童年时代桑拿就是他们生活的一部分,是与家人或朋友分

享的人生经历。

Since being naked is the norm (but not a rule), it is usual (but again, not a rule) for men and women to take it in turns to have a sauna.

洗桑拿浴时一般(但不是规定)要全身赤裸,因此通常(也不是规定)男人和女人轮流洗桑拿。

In public saunas there will be separate saunas for men and women.

公共桑拿房里有各自独立的男士桑拿间和女士桑拿间。

The aim is to relax and sweat, after which you can have a shower, or just run about in the snow outside.

桑拿的目的就是为了放松和出汗。

Some people dive into a nearby lake as well!

桑拿之后,你可以冲个澡,或者干脆到外面雪地里跑跑。有些人还跳进附近的湖里!

(There are 200,000 of them in Finland).

(芬兰有20万个湖。)

But are saunas healthy?

但是,桑拿对身体有益吗?

Opinions are divided.

对此人们的观点各不相同。

For example, although some people think that it is possible to use a sauna to lose weight, most doctors would advise against this.

例如,虽然有些人认为可以通过桑拿减肥,但是大多数医生反对这么做。

More realistic claims made in favour of saunas include improving blood circulation, getting rid of toxins, helping people who have breathing problems, and relieving tired muscles.

支持桑拿的更为现实的观点包括桑拿可以改善血液循环、排除毒素、治疗呼吸道疾病以及舒缓肌肉疲劳。

What's more, research by the Finnish Medical Society suggests that people who regularly have saunas reduce their chances of catching colds by up to 30 per cent.

而且,芬兰医学会的研究表明,那些经常洗桑拿的人患感冒的机会减少了30%。

But of course for Finns, the effect of the sauna is psychological as well as physical.

当然,对芬兰人来说,桑拿的作用既是生理的,也是心理的。

Relaxing in a sauna while winter rages outside is part of the pleasure of living in a northern climate.

冬天,当室外已是一片冰天雪地的时候,在桑拿房里放松休养是生活在北方的一种乐趣。

适应校园生活——来自世界各地的访谈

塔尼娅?扎茹茨卡娅莫斯科,俄罗斯

去年的这个时候,我对新生活感到很紧张。我没有朋友,也是第一次离开家。一开始,我一天到晚都在忙功课:上课,并且学习到深夜。

可后来我意识到我错过了大学里许多其他活动。一天,跟我住同一幢宿舍楼的一个女孩儿邀请全楼的人去参加一个晚宴。我不知道她在哪儿买的那些吃的,也不清楚她怎么会有足够的钱。而且她穿得像个模特儿。我真不知道她干嘛还要费那劲儿上大学!现在我结识了许多有趣的人,既努力学习,也快乐地生活。

米古尔?方斯卡瓜达拉哈拉,墨西哥

刚上大学的时候,我尽量把教授们在课堂上说的每一句话都记下来。结果是我光忙着记笔记,都顾不上听讲了。我现在学的是化学,现在学的东西似乎都比我们在中学里学的复杂。不过我意识到,在大学里,你应该更多地去听、去思考。现在,我已弄清新知识和过去所学知识之间的差别了。

弗兰辛?博内里昂,法国

我刚来时,这所大学似乎很大,也很不友好。一开始,我觉得很难适应缺乏指导的自由生活。上中学的时候,我已经习惯了晚上做家庭作业。

如何使用每月的生活费也让我感到很头疼。你得买食品、书、公交车票、衣服等东西,这和小时候在家花零花钱大不一样。每学期的钱是一次性汇来的,所以一开始我总觉得手头相当宽裕。然后我就大手大脚地花钱,搞到后来每天只能吃一个三明治!

我现在认识到家长或老师不再有照顾我的责任了。长这么大第一次,我该自己打理自己的生活了……可我却不知道该怎么办!

这一观点招致了不少批评。大家认为这种理论过于简单化,论据不足,而且偏袒英语(好像只有英语才能够“最有效地”展开论述似的)。俄罗斯学生尤其不认同卡普兰对他们的看法。

不过,卡普兰的研究成果至少提醒了我们一点:要想熟练地掌握英语(或任何语言)写作的能力,仅仅掌握句子层面的结构是不够的——我们需要在更高层次的组织结构上下工夫,学会运用重复和比喻等修辞手法。

并且,我们可能大都认同这样一种观点,即来自不同文化背景的人会以各自不同的方式提出论点或者讲故事。即使我们很难或是根本不可能阐明其差异,但仅仅是意识到这些差异的存在也有助于我们加深对彼此的理解和认同感。

误解并不仅限于言语。由于肢体语言和手势在一种文化中表达一个意思,可在另一种文化中又表达另一个意思,这很容易造成困惑。比如说,刚到中国的西方人看见有人盯着他们看,觉得很奇怪,因为这让他们觉得很尴尬、很难为情。其实,中国人只是好奇而已。

在有些集市上,卖家允许你自己挑选水果和蔬菜,而在另外一些集市上,卖家可能要坚持替你挑选。最好的方法便是入乡随俗。也就是说,留意当地人的做法,看他们是不是自己挑选物品,将物品放入碗中或者篮子里,然后交给卖家。

在集市上,或者更准确地说,在销售食品、衣服或明码标价的集市上,讨价还价是很少见的。唯一的例外是“跳蚤市场”,也就是二手货和古玩市场。如果可以讨价还价,你需要先了解相同的物品在其他货摊上卖多少钱,然后让卖主先告诉你价格,你再还价,或者更确切地说,你给的价格可以大约是卖主出价的40%,这样就有望达成双方都满意的价格。

作为一个有头脑、负责任的旅行者,你可以做几件事以避免影响或毁坏你参观过的风景名胜区。认识到旅游所产生的经济、文化及环境效应是非常重要的。你在旅行中付出的越多,你从中得到的就越多。

了解目的地。这不仅仅意味着读读旅行指南。比如说,走之前,你可以留意一下有关旅游目的地的新闻与时事。或者试着学几句当地的语言。

尊重当地的习俗与传统。比如说着装要得体,拍照时要小心谨慎。要记住,在你看来恰当的举止不一定会被另一个文化所接受。记住你不仅仅是名游客,你还是位客人。

不要炫富。你随身携带的东西,如照相机、手表及珠宝首饰等,有可能在你和当地人之间造成隔阂。把这些东西收起来。

节约资源。要知道,作为游客,你可能会消耗日益稀少的珍贵自然资源,如水、木材及食品等。建在茫茫旷野中的大旅馆比家庭经营的小旅店要消耗更多的资源。

遵循不留痕迹的原则。把你带来的所有东西,如包装盒、纸、垃圾等,全都带回家。不要把不是你带来的或是会对环境造成影响的东西带回家,比如植物或用动物制品制作的纪念品。

支持当地的经济。比如说,品尝当地的食品,乘坐当地的交通工具,在当地的饭馆就餐,光顾当地的市场,雇用当地的导游。重要的是,你在当地花的钱创造了就业机会。尽量避免随大型旅游公司去旅行。

继续你的旅行。乘飞机回到家以后,你的旅行并没有结束。你还可以做更多的事情,比如说,你可以和你去过的那些地方以及你见过的那些人保持联系,与亲朋好友分享你的经历,仔细研究一下你学到的东西。通过支持一些合适的保护机构来保持你的兴趣。试着写篇文章,投寄给当地的报纸或杂志发表。

如果你不喜欢旅行,那你当初为什么要离开家呢?

在芬兰,冬天漫长而寒冷,温度很少在零度以上,长夜漫漫,似乎没有尽头。另外,那些生活在该国最北部地区的人们还得应对“极夜”,一段连续51天、太阳永不升起的日子。

但是芬兰人发明了一种保持温暖、快乐的方法——桑拿。在芬兰,几乎每一栋房子都有一间桑拿房。在这个只有500多万居民的国家里,估计有多达200万间的桑拿房。

桑拿房历史久远,有关桑拿房的最早文字记载可以追溯到12世纪。最初,桑拿房只是在地上挖的一个坑,加热后用于洗澡。但是后来,随着定居人口的增多,桑拿房变成了独立于主宅的地上房间。但是,今天大多数现代家庭的浴室里除了淋浴喷头和浴缸外,还有桑拿设备。而且,桑拿房的功能也发生了变化,如今人们将它用作休闲享乐的场所。

从本质上讲,桑拿是不用烟囱的一团火。石头被放在火上以储存热量。当你往石头上泼水时,它就释放出大量的热气,瞬间弥漫整个屋子。

对于芬兰人来说,早在童年时代桑拿就是他们生活的一部分,是与家人或朋友分享的人生经历。洗桑拿浴时一般(但不是规定)要全身赤裸,因此通常(也不是规定)男人和女人轮流洗桑拿。公共桑拿房里有各自独立的男士桑拿间和女士桑拿间。桑拿的目的就是为了放松和出汗。桑拿之后,你可以冲个澡,或者干脆到外面雪地里跑跑。有些人还跳进附近的湖里!(芬兰有20万个湖。)

但是,桑拿对身体有益吗?对此人们的观点各不相同。例如,虽然有些人认为可以通过桑拿减肥,但是大多数医生反对这么做。支持桑拿的更为现实的观点包括桑拿可以改善血液循环、排除毒素、治疗呼吸道疾病以及舒缓肌肉疲劳。而且,芬兰医学会的研究表明,那些经常洗桑拿的人患感冒的机会减少了30%。

当然,对芬兰人来说,桑拿的作用既是生理的,也是心理的。冬天,当室外已是一片冰天雪地的时候,在桑拿房里放松休养是生活在北方的一种乐趣。

建筑类外文文献及中文翻译

forced concrete structure reinforced with an overviewRein Since the reform and opening up, with the national economy's rapid and sustained development of a reinforced concrete structure built, reinforced with the development of technology has been great. Therefore, to promote the use of advanced technology reinforced connecting to improve project quality and speed up the pace of construction, improve labor productivity, reduce costs, and is of great significance. Reinforced steel bars connecting technologies can be divided into two broad categories linking welding machinery and steel. There are six types of welding steel welding methods, and some apply to the prefabricated plant, and some apply to the construction site, some of both apply. There are three types of machinery commonly used reinforcement linking method primarily applicable to the construction site. Ways has its own characteristics and different application, and in the continuous development and improvement. In actual production, should be based on specific conditions of work, working environment and technical requirements, the choice of suitable methods to achieve the best overall efficiency. 1、steel mechanical link 1.1 radial squeeze link Will be a steel sleeve in two sets to the highly-reinforced Department with superhigh pressure hydraulic equipment (squeeze tongs) along steel sleeve radial squeeze steel casing, in squeezing out tongs squeeze pressure role of a steel sleeve plasticity deformation closely integrated with reinforced through reinforced steel sleeve and Wang Liang's Position will be two solid steel bars linked Characteristic: Connect intensity to be high, performance reliable, can bear high stress draw and pigeonhole the load and tired load repeatedly.

跨文化交际与翻译

Intercultural communication and translation Intercultural communication mainly refers to the communication between the native speakers and non-native speakers, as well as the communication between people who differ in any aspect of language or culture background. Due to the differences in surroundings, societies and religions of different ethnic groups, each language community results in its own code of language, social culture, customs and practices and so on. Intercultural communication studies situations when people from different culture backgrounds interact. Aside from language, IC focuses on social attributes, thought patterns and the cultures of different groups of people. IC also involves understanding the different cultures, languages and customs of people from other countries. There are three formats of IC: interracial communication (when source and receiver are different races), interethnic communication (situation in which the parties are of the same race but of different ethnic origins) and intracultural communication (communication between members of the same culture including racial, ethnic and other co-cultures). The term translation itself has several meanings: it can refer to the general subject field, the product (the text that has been translated) or the process (the act of producing the translation, otherwise known as translating). The process of translating between two different written languages involves the translator changing an original written text (the source text) in the original verbal language (the source language) into a written text (the target text) in a different verbal language (the target language). This type corresponds to “interlingual translation” and is one of the three Roman Jakobson in his seminal paper. Jakobson’s categories are: 1. Intralingual translation, or “rewording”– an interpretation of verbal signs by means of other signs of the same language; 2. Interlingual translation, or “translation proper”–an interpretation of verbal signs by means of some other language; 3. Intersemiotic translation, or “transmutation”– an interpretation of verbal signs by means of signs of non-verbal sign systems. Intralingual translation would occur when we rephrase an expression or text in the same language to explain or clarify something we might have said or written. Intersemiotic translation would occur if a written text were translated, for example, into music, film or painting. It is interlingual translation which is the traditional, although by no means exclusive, focus of translation studies. It is easily seen that the three forms of intercultural communication and the three types of translation are partly corresponding to each other, especially interracial communication and interlingual translation which both attach attention on the communication between native and non-native, and where different cultures of different countries play more important role. To conduct effective intercultural communication, one has to understand the differences between the different nations and then to look for them and pay attention to in every cross-cultural communication situation. By doing this, the high-context communicators can learn to use and respond words, emotions, postures differently, and low-context communicators can learn to

跨文化交际李成明unit2-A原文+翻译PDF

Unit 2 With the amazingly rapid development in transportation and information communication, people from different cultures interact more often than ever before, but misunderstandings even conflicts caused in the process of this interaction also grow increasingly. Just for this reason, much concern is focused upon the problem of how to help people interact and communicate successfully in a transcultural way. As a matter of fact, culture is not strange to us all. We hear, read and talk of it, such as Chinese culture, English culture, tea culture, campus culture and so on. But when it comes to the meaning of culture, it is notoriously difficult to define what culture really is or should be. 随着交通运输和信息交流的飞速发展,不同文化背景下的人们交往越来越频繁,但在交往过程中产生的误会甚至冲突也日益增多。正因为如此,人们关注的焦点是如何帮助人们以跨文化的方式成功地进行互动和交流。事实上,文化对我们大家来说并不陌生。我们听、读、谈它,如中国文化、英国文化、茶文化、校园文化等。但说到文化的意义,很难界定什么是真正的文化,什么应该是文化。 Text A The Concept of Culture Culture is notoriously difficult to define. In 1952, the American anthropologist, Alfred Kroeber and Clyde Kluckhohn, critically reviewed concepts and definitions of culture, and compiled a list of 164 different definitions. So far there is no agreement among anthropologists and scholars regarding the nature of culture. 众所周知,文化很难定义。1952年,美国植物学家阿尔弗雷德·克罗伯和克莱德·克鲁克汉对文化的概念和定义进行了批判性的重新审视,并编制了164个不同的定义清单。到目前为止,人类学家和学者对于文化的本质还没有达成一致意见。 Although the term culture is used by most of the social sciences today, over the years it has received its most precise and thorough definition from the discipline of anthropology. Whereas sociology has concentrated on the notion of society; economics on the concepts of production, distribution, and consumption; political science on the concept of power; anthropology has focused on the culture concept. From anthropology nineteenth-century beginnings, culture has been central to both ethnology and archaeology and has been an important, if not major, concern of physical anthropology. Anthropology, through its constant examining of different life ways throughout space and time, has done more than any other scientific discipline to refine our understanding of the concept of culture. 尽管今天大多数社会科学都使用“文化”这个词,但多年来,它从人类学学科中得到了最精确、最彻底的定义。而社会学则集中于社会概念;经济学则集中于生产、分配和消费概念;政治学则集中于权力概念;人类学则集中于文化概念。从19世纪的人类学开始,文化就一直是民族学和考古学的中心,并且一直是一个重要的,如果不是主要的,对物质人类学的关注。人类学通过对整个空间和时间中不同生活方式的不断研究,比任何其他科学学科都更能完善我们对文化概念的理解。 In nonscientific usage, the term culture refers to personal refinements such as classical music, the fine arts ,world philosophy and gourmet cuisine. For example,according to this popular use of the term, the cultured person listens to Bach rather than Eminem, can distinguish between the

(完整word版)跨文化交际教学大纲

《跨文化交际》 课程教学大纲 课程名称:英语教学论 课程类别:专业必修课 考核类别:考试 适用对象:本科 适用专业:英语 总学时、学分:36学时2学分 一、课程教学目的 该课程旨在扩大学生的知识面,对西方文化的不同层面有所了解,以提高学生的交际能力。在传统的外语教学中, 人们往往忽视文化的重要作用, 只注重语言能力的培养而未能顾及交际能力的提高。近年来国内学者认识到外语教学必须引进文化知识的对比,训练学生灵活运用语言知识, 更好地与外国人沟通, 减少和避免误解。 1

二、课程教学要求 该课程教学要求学生提高对文化差异的敏感性, 更有效地与外国人进行交际,为英语专业课程的学习和翻译实践能力的提高奠定基础。 三、先修课程 跨文化交际是英语专业的必修课, 是在完成了精读、泛读、综合英语、写作等基本技能训练后开设的,旨在增强文化差异的敏感性,增强跨文化交际意识,有助于英语专业课程的学习和翻译实践能力的提高。因此,学生先期完成英语听说读写等技能训练基本课程,如《基础英语》、《英国文学选读》等课程。 四、课程教学重、难点 该课程教学重点在于培养学生对英语国家文化的 2

了解及跨文化交际意识, 提高驾驭英语语言的能力, 从而使其能得体地运用语言与操英语的外国人士进行交流。教师的讲授重点是帮助学生认识中西文化的异同,分析文化差异的根源, 帮助学生深化对西方文化的理解。中西文化的差异在表层上很容易识别,但对造成差异的原因却需追根溯源。东西方在历史,思维方式以及哲学等方面的差异则是造成中国学生对西方文化不解的主要原因,也是该课程的难点。 五、课程教学方法(或手段) 教学方法:以课堂讲授为主,适当组织课堂讨论,鼓励学生充分利用课外资源进行探索性、研究性学习。 六、课程教学内容 Unit 1 Communication Across Cultures(4学时) 3

英文文献及翻译(计算机专业)

NET-BASED TASK MANAGEMENT SYSTEM Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeffrey D. Ullman, Jennifer Wisdom ABSTRACT In net-based collaborative design environment, design resources become more and more varied and complex. Besides com mon in formatio n man ageme nt systems, desig n resources can be orga ni zed in connection with desig n activities. A set of activities and resources linked by logic relations can form a task. A task has at least one objective and can be broken down into smaller ones. So a design project can be separated in to many subtasks formi ng a hierarchical structure. Task Management System (TMS) is designed to break down these tasks and assig n certa in resources to its task no des. As a result of decompositi on. al1 desig n resources and activities could be man aged via this system. KEY WORDS : Collaborative Design, Task Management System (TMS), Task Decompositi on, In formati on Man ageme nt System 1 Introduction Along with the rapid upgrade of request for adva need desig n methods, more and more desig n tool appeared to support new desig n methods and forms. Desig n in a web en vir onment with multi-part ners being invo Ived requires a more powerful and efficie nt man ageme nt system .Desig n part ners can be located everywhere over the n et with their own organizations. They could be mutually independent experts or teams of tens of employees. This article discussesa task man ageme nt system (TMS) which man ages desig n activities and resources by break ing dow n desig n objectives and re-orga nizing desig n resources in conn ecti on with the activities. Compari ng with com mon information management systems (IMS) like product data management system and docume nt man ageme nt system, TMS can man age the whole desig n process. It has two tiers which make it much more flexible in structure. The lower tier con sists of traditi onal com mon IMSS and the upper one fulfills logic activity management through controlling a tree-like structure, allocating design resources and

(完整版)新编跨文化交际英语教程翻译1-10单元

1 Translation 纵观历史,我们可以清楚地看到,人们由于彼此所处地域、意识形态、容貌服饰和行为举止上存在的差异,而长久无法互相理解、无法和睦相处。在这种情况下,跨文化交际作为一个特定的研究领域得以形成和发展。值得注意的是,人类文明在发展过程中所遭受的许多挫折,既是个人的,又是全球性的;人类历史进程总是充满了个人间的直接冲突和民族间的误解——从骂骂咧咧到孤立主义直至到武装冲突,大大小小争端不绝。 很显然,文化间以及亚文化间的交往比以前多了,这迫切要求我们共同努力,去理解有着不同信仰和文化背景的人们,并与之和睦相处。通过加深认识和理解,我们能够与生活方式、价值观念不同的人们和平共处;这不但有益于我们周遭环境的安定,也是维护世界和平的决定性因素。 2 Translation 文化有时候被称为我们的心智程序,我们“头脑的软件”。但是,我们可以进一步引申这个用电脑所做的类比,把文化看作是支持运行的操作环境。文化就像电脑使用的DOS或者Unix或者“视窗”(Windows)等操作系统一样,使我们能在各种各样的实际应用中处理信息。用“视窗”这个比喻来描述文化似乎也很有吸引力。文化就是我们心灵的视窗,透过它我们审视生活的方方面面。一个社会中不同个体的视窗是不大一样的,但都有着一些重要的共同特征。 文化就好像是鱼畅游于其中的水一般,人们想当然地把文化看成是客观存在的事实,因而很少去研究它。文化存在于我们所呼吸的空气之中,文化对于我们了解我们自身之为何物是必不可少的,就正如生命离不开空气一样。文化是特定群体的共有财产,而不单是个体的特征。社会按照文化设定的程序运作,这种程序来自于相似的生活体验以及对这种生活体验之含义的相似阐释。 如果文化是一种心智程序,那么它也是现实的心灵地图。从我们很小的时候开始,文化就告诉我们应该看重什么、偏好什么、规避什么和做些什么,文化还告诉我们事物应该是什么样。文化为我们提供超越个体经验可能的理想典范,帮助我们决定应该优先考虑的人或事。文化为我们建立起行为准则,并视遵守这些准则的行为为正当、合法。 3 Translation 43

商业建筑外文文献翻译)

Commercial Buildings Abstract: A guide and general reference on electrical design for commercial buildings is provided. It covers load characteristics; voltage considerations; power sources and distribution apparatus; controllers; services, vaults, and electrical equipment rooms; wiring systems; systems protection and coordination; lighting; electric space conditioning; transportation; communication systems planning; facility automation; expansion, modernization, and rehabilitation; special requirements by occupancy; and electrical energy management. Although directed to the power oriented engineer with limited commercial building experience, it can be an aid to all engineers responsible for the electrical design of commercial buildings. This recommended practice is not intended to be a complete handbook; however, it can direct the engineer to texts, periodicals, and references for commercial buildings and act as a guide through the myriad of codes, standards, and practices published by the IEEE, other professional associations, and governmental bodies. Keywords: Commercial buildings, electric power systems, load characteristics 1. Introduction 1.1 Scope This recommended practice will probably be of greatest value to the power oriented engineer with limited commercial building experience. It can also be an aid to all engineers responsible for the electrical design of commercial buildings. However, it is not intended as a replacement for the many excellent engineering texts and handbooks commonly in use, nor is it detailed enough to be a design manual. It should be considered a guide and general reference on electrical design for commercial buildings. 1.2 Commercial Buildings The term “commercial, residential, and institutional buildings”as used in this chapter, encompasses all buildings other than industrial buildings and private dwellings. It includes office and apartment buildings, hotels, schools, and churches, marine, air, railway, and bus terminals, department stores, retail shops, governmental buildings, hospitals, nursing homes, mental and correctional institutions, theaters, sports arenas, and other buildings serving the public directly. Buildings, or parts of buildings, within industrial complexes, which are used as offices or medical facilities or for similar nonindustrial purposes, fall within the scope of this recommended practice. Today’s commercial buildings, because of their increasing size and complexity, have become more and more dependent upon adequate and reliable electric systems. One can better understand the complex nature of modern commercial buildings by examining the systems, equipment, and facilities listed in 1.2.1. 1.2.2 Electrical Design Elements In spite of the wide variety of commercial, residential, and institutional buildings, some electrical design elements are common to all. These elements, listed below, will be discussed generally in this section and in detail in the remaining sections of this recommended practice. The principal design elements considered in the design of the power, lighting, and auxiliary systems include: 1) Magnitudes, quality, characteristics, demand, and coincidence or diversity of loads and load factors 2) Service, distribution, and utilization voltages and voltage regulation 3) Flexibility and provisions for expansion

大学生跨文化交际 U2Pa课文翻译定稿2014

Unit 2 Passage A 1. 中国的核心价值与儒家思想有关,儒家思想的道德准则是对人际关系中道德品质的总结,孔子就用它来夫妇有别,长幼有序,朋友有信。”在两千多年的封建统治时期,统治阶级用这五伦来处理每件事,这就形成了一个分级的社会,即臣忠于君,子孝于亲的社会。 2. 在英国文艺复兴时期,人们开始强调人的尊严以及现实生活的重要性。他们提倡人不仅有享受美好生活的权利,更要具备完善自己和创造奇迹的能力。这就是人文主义的基本理念。自那以后,人们开始尊重人性,随即有发展出了我们今日称之为“自由”的思想,即民主。 3. 以美国为例,优秀的个人价值观就是独立、努力以及生活成功、个人成就与乐于助人三方面实现平衡。就社会价值观而言,美国人在这6方面领先:言论自由、个人自由、个人权利、公开争论、独立思考和。而中国的价值观则提倡努力工作、尊重学习、诚实守信、独立自由和持久忍耐。亚洲人值得推崇的6个社会价值观是社会有序、和谐一致、政府问责、开拓思路、言论自由和尊重权威。 4. 与美国人不同的是,东亚人通常更尊重权威,赞誉社会有序,可与他们一致的是亚洲人也尊重新观念,政府问责及言论自由。 5. 中西方文化的不同与个人主义和集体主体文化密不可分。 6. 个人主义就是人们注重个体、强调个体需要。一般来说,西方文化倾向于个人主义。 7. 集体主义文化即把自身当作是集体(家庭、单位、部落、国家)的一员,一般认为集体的需要高于个体。大多数亚洲文化,包括中国在内,倾向于集体主义。 8.个人主义是指在一个社会里个人权利是首要的。大多数西方人士认为每个人都有自己独立的身份和人格,这应该得到认可并强化。因此,如果不理解个人主义,则无法理解西方的文化和西方人。唯有理解了个人主义,我们才能明白西方人对家庭、友谊和隐私的看法。个人主义的核心是追求个人利益和成就,作为一项社会的基本品质,它被高度地重视,并被人们真心铭记和认真领会。 9. 在基督教的传统文化中,个人主义不但对彼此重要,而且对社会对上帝都重要。个人主义从他们的祖先那里传承下来,因而对西方人而言,个人主义不是自私而是正直。他们如此重视个人主义,以至于他们认为如果有人不去实践个人主义,那就是错的行为。“自助者天助”,从这句谚语我们可以看出西方人对个人主义的态度。可是对中国人来说,个人主义是贬义词,是利己主义,它就意味着自私的人品和散漫的纪律。 10.传统的中国信条,尤其是儒家思想,欣赏集体主义。它强调群体合作,强调个体的成功归功于单位、组织或社团全体成员的共同努力。中国人认为为了集体而牺牲个人利益是非常高尚的品质,继而谦逊待人、善解人意的品质也受到高度赞扬。 11. 让我们从这两个事例来看文化的基本差异:学校 学校的组织形式可以看出集体主义和个人主义文化的差异。例,中国的中学、甚至大学,学生通常群体组合,他们被编成班,所有同班同学学习同一课程。相反,美国高中和大学的学生都是个体的组合,他们通常根据自己的兴趣至少选择几门课程,因此他们经常到不同的班级上不同的课,也没有类似中国的“班” 12. 另一个集体主义和个人主义区别的例子就是宴会。比如,在中国,宴会通常是大家围坐在一起享受美食或观赏节目,有的观看,有的会亲自参与节目。相反,美国典型的宴会就是鸡尾酒会。在晚会中大家成双成对,或三五成群一起聊天,间或走动走动,换换聊天对象。 13.下面是西方个人主义文化和集体主义文化更具体的区别。

跨文化交际

河南师范大学外国语学院 考查课程答卷 年级类别:2011级 学科专业:学科教学(英语) 学号:1105280400 姓名:龙裴 课程名称:跨文化交际 授课教师:陈运香 考试时间: 考试分数:

2011级教育硕士、翻译硕士“跨文化交际”测试题 I.Explain the following terms.(20 points) 1.Cross-cultural communication: Answer: Cross-cultural communication refers to communication between the native speakers and non-native speakers of communication, also refers to the communication among any people in different language and the background. Cross-cultural communication is a field of study that looks at how people from differing cultural backgrounds communicate, in similar and different ways among themselves, and how they endeavor to communicate across cultures. 2.Enculturation: Answer: Enculturation is the process by which a person learns the requirements of the culture by which he or she is surrounded, and acquires values and behaviors that are appropriate or necessary in that culture. As part of this process, the influences which limit, direct, or shape the individual (whether deliberately or not) include parents, other adults, and peers. If successful, enculturation results in competence in the language, values and rituals of the culture. The process of enculturation is related to socialization. In some academic fields, socialization refers to the deliberate shaping of the individual, in others; the word may be used to cover both deliberate and informal enculturation.

《跨文化交际学概论》读后感

《跨文化交际学概论》读后感 AP0802325 钟欣奕 在学习《跨文化交际》这门课程和看完《跨文化交际学概论》这本书之前,我对“跨文化交际”的认识是:两个来自不同国家的人、组织或是国家之间的交流和沟通就是跨文化交际,而同一个国家的两个不同地区的文化的交流并不是跨文化交际。因为我认为既然是“‘跨’文化”,那这两种文化之间的差异应该是很大的,有非常不一样的文化来源和文化背景,有不一样的发展历程和演变过程,形成了两种很不一样的文化内涵。比如,美索不达米亚平原和幼发拉底河孕育的文化、黄河孕育的文化都是各有各的特点。随着经济的发展,交通工具的进步与通讯手段的发展,跨文化交际成了人们的需求,成为经济全球化和“地球村”的需求。 但是,《跨文化交际学概论》这本书中的第一部分第一章中提到:任何两份人之间的交际都是跨文化交际。这让我对“跨文化交际”有了一种新的认识。 有些学者就认为,跨文化交际研究的范围应该也包括地区、职业、年龄、性别等方面的文化差异探讨。地区之间文化的差异,特别是在饮食方面还是比较明显的。在肇庆一些地方,番薯和南瓜是很少被当做是一道菜,更多的是当早餐或者是相当于正餐的米饭,但是同属广东,有一些地方又偏爱“蒜炒南瓜”。又比如,在我的家乡—海南,人们很爱吃生芒果,吃法也很特别:有的人会蘸盐吃,但更多人,包括我,更喜欢蘸调料吃,这种调料是用酱油、白砂糖、海南灯笼椒、或虾酱调制而成的。我周围的朋友都觉得这种吃法很奇怪,无法想象竟然用水果蘸酱油吃。不过我们当地人觉得味道还挺不错的。 正所谓“隔行如隔山”,每种行业之间虽然有互通的知识,但是之间的差别还是挺大的。对大多数学习文史类的人来说,理工科的公式换算简直就是“鬼画符”一样难懂。具体来说,要一个只专长与计算机编程的人去欣赏充满意境、“形散神聚”的散文,也是一件很难的事情。

相关主题
文本预览
相关文档 最新文档